Friday, October 24, 2014

Look at the Cross

Every time I walked down that hall in the hospital, I looked through the door of the chapel. The crucifix was displayed for all to see. I often wondered what others thought when they saw the display of Christ hanging on the cross. Some were reminded that they were in a Catholic hospital. Others thought about how religious some people are. Every time I saw Christ on the cross, I saw love. It is love so amazing, so divine, the love of God for sinners like you and me.

There is an old hymn of the church entitled, "I Saw the Cross of Jesus". The first stanza says, "I saw the cross of Jesus, when burdened with my sin. I sought the cross of Jesus, to give me peace within. I brought my soul to Jesus. He cleansed it in his blood, and in the cross of Jesus, I found my peace with God." That has happened to me as I saw the cross of Jesus. I saw the love of God.

What do you see, when you see the cross of Jesus? The soldiers who crucified him saw a criminal. The religious leaders who demanded his crucifixion saw a blasphemer. A dying thief on a cross beside him saw the way to paradise. Jesus said to him, "Today you shall be with me in paradise." It's all in the eyes of the beholder. By the grace of God, I saw the love of God.

"In this the love of God was made manifest,
that God sent His only Son into the world."

1 John 4:9