Sunday, April 13, 2014

God is Faithful

"Can a woman forget her nursing child,
and not have compassion on the son of her womb?

Isaiah 49:15

The pastor visited a senior adult lady in the hospital. The woman had been seriously ill. She had been through a life-threatening surgery and was depressed. She said to her pastor, "You know, here lately I feel like God has forgotten me." A tear rolled down her cheek. The pastor gently said, "I believe I can understand why you would feel that way. You're going through some difficult days." After the lady recovered from her illness a couple of months later, she said to her pastor, "Please forgive me for having a pity party in the hospital. I was listening to my feelings and not my faith." The pastor said, "No apologies are necessary. Sooner or later, all of us have tough times. I know that your faith is strong."

Sure, all of us may have times when we are tempted to believe that God has forgotten us. Sometime our feelings and our faith are in conflict. In Isaiah, we read a wonderful analogy about God's loving care for us. God's watch care for us is like a nursing mother for her infant child. How could she ever forget her helpless baby? Her heart compels her never to forget the helpless child. So it is with God and His children. He carries us in His heart.

Have you ever had that experience where you felt like God has forgotten you? Our feelings and our faith are not together. Feelings say, "God is not concerned about me. He has forsaken me. Why should He care about me?" Faith says, "I'm depressed and feel so helpless, but I know that God will never leave me nor forsake me." Feelings change often and fast. God changes not. His love for you is steadfast and sure. Faith bonds to the faithfulness of God. 


God, we trust Your faithfulness.