Friday, May 11, 2012

Feeling Helpless

"My flesh and my heart fail,
but God is the strength of my heart."

Psalm 73:26

A pastor visited a church member in the hospital. The patient was recovering from surgery. He said to his pastor, "I have never felt so helpless in my life. It is an humbling feeling." Then, the man told his pastor the doctor's prognosis after having heart surgery. The pastor said, "I have a verse to share with you from the Bible. It's found in Psalm 73:26. 'My flesh and my heart fail, but God is the strength of my heart.' I'm going to ask God to give you strength, because He is our strength."

It is when we feel helpless that we can experience God's strength. No one likes to feel helpless, but it brings the blessing of total dependence upon God. That's a good place to be to see God as our source of strength. Prayer becomes the believer's cry for help to the helpless. We can trust in God's faithfulness to be our strength in the situations of life.

In our salvation through Christ, we may doubt the assurance of faith. We may wonder if we have done enough or could do more to secure God's favor. No such thinking will lead to blessed assurance. It's only when we see ourselves helpless that we can trust God to save us by His grace alone. "For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5:6).

In what area of your life do you feel most helpless? That is the very area of your life where God can get the most glory. His grace is sufficient in our helplessness. We may think that God can use us more in the area of our strengths. Not so. It's in our weakness that He reveals His strength. The Lord says to each one of us, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). Feeling helpless? Rejoice in God's grace which is always sufficient.

Prayer: Father, when we feel helpless and without strength, we trust Your grace to be sufficient for our every need, through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.